Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What's New for Scientific Processes?

It's the beginning of a new school year.  Crayons are nice and sharp.  All the pencils still have their erasers. Everyone has a working pair of scissors.  Student (and teacher) desks are organized.  It's heaven in a classroom, am I right?

This clerical bliss will last approximately 19 more hours, so enjoy it while you can!

I am already jumping into curriculum in my classroom!  How 'bout you?  I'm trying to integrate expectations and procedures into my curriculum so that I don't lose any precious time this week.  This year, I have an AMAZING group of kiddos!  I'm so thankful!!!  I haven't even had to THINK about discipline. YAY!!!

I always teach the Nature of Science in my classroom the first week of school.  I hit a ton of my state's process standards, and the kids get an important review of enduring science concepts like the Scientific Method, science tools, and inquiry skills.  I love using the book On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein by Jennifer Berne as a read-aloud this week.  We are able to link this sweet little book to so many science concepts, as well as discuss the importance of perseverance and never underestimating oneself.

Love this book!  Click HERE to get a copy!
This year, I decided to incorporate the popular lapbook into my Nature of Science curriculum.  After several days of organizing supplies, setting up notebooks, and practicing procedure, I know my kiddos need some time to be creative and show what they know without using a worksheet!




This lapbook incorporates the Scientific Method, science tools, and inquiry skills, but it also encourages kiddos to make a personal connection with science.  How do you behave like a scientist?  Where do you see science in the real world?  If you were going to win the Nobel Prize for science one day, what would it be for?  My kiddos LOVE science, and they love to imagine becoming famous someday for an invention or a new discovery.  Today, I had a student predict that he will discover that the universe is round, and that's why it's infinite.  Okay!  I just love how these lessons and activities get them so excited to jump right into the meat of the curriculum!

My Scientific Process Lapbook is FREE for a limited time in my TPT store, so get your copy while you can!

Scientific Process Lapbook available on TPT
My Nature of Science Guide is also available in my TPT store.  It has cute posters, vocabulary cards, an Albert Einstein activity, a flipbook and quiz on the Scientific Method, a ton of science tools, and MUCH MORE!

Nature of Science Guide available on TPT

Have a great year, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment