Wednesday, December 10, 2014

So Close...And Yet So Far

Is it only Wednesday?  I swear when I woke up this morning, it was Friday.  Clearly, my brain and my body want Christmas vacation (ahem, I'm sorry, Winter Holiday) to get here...QUICK!  I mistakenly thought that I would return from Thanksgiving break renewed and refreshed.  I don't know about you, but a week off just didn't cut it.  We leapt right back onto the 5th Grade Grindstone, and will remain there until next Friday (with a teensy break on the obligatory Polar Express day - yay for PJs at school and an hour-and-a-half to get stuff done!).  Seven more days til rest and relaxation (in the form of last-minute Christmas shopping) doesn't seem like too much, until I look at my jam-packed lesson plans...so close, and yet, so far!!!

So we ended our unit on American Colonization this week.  I've tried really hard this year not to fall behind in social studies.  It's my favorite subject, but with STAAR tests in reading, math, and science, it always seems to be the subject that is ignored when we are in a time crunch (a.k.a., all year long).  I wanted to make things more interactive for the kiddos - they are a special bunch that require LOTS of hands-on activities.  I also wanted to make sure that I integrated informational reading with this unit...two birds, one stone, and all.  Here are some of the interactive activities that we used in class!!!
 
 
Accordion books to record information about each colonial region
 


Passage on the effects of colonial climate on economy and industry
(It was a great way to integrate cause & effect with the topic!)
 


13 mini-flapbooklets to record information (the Who, When, & Why) for each colony

 
Colonial Map
 
This unit is one of my social studies favorites!  But I really can't wait to move on to the American Revolution!  I'm a total National Treasure junkie - every time it's on TV, I just HAVE to tune in!  The Revolutionary War is one of my favorite periods in American history, just behind the '60's and the Civil Rights Movement (I would've been a total hippie, I'm sure of it!).  I haven't decided if I'm going to attempt to create an entire unit on the American Revolution, but knowing me, I probably will!  In the meantime, get your copy of my American Colonization unit at 20% off for a limited time!  It's over 80 pages of interactive goodies, and it's available in my TPT store.  Click HERE to grab the unit at a discount through December 13th!!!
 
Seven days to go...Merry Christmas, y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment