Thursday, November 13, 2014

A How-To Hullabaloo!!!

Time has just flown by!  I can't believe we are coming up on Thanksgiving break, but I have to admit...I am ready for some down time!  We have been going non-stop in the 5th grade world, muddling through lots of new math (but still finding time for some fun!).

This week, we started a unit on procedural text.  Frankly, it can be kind of a snooze-fest.  I wanted to jazz it up a bit, so I created a quick little lesson to kick off the unit.  My collab partner was sweet enough to pick up some bubblegum late Tuesday night so that we could get our kiddos excited about procedural text.  And boy, were they!


We started by passing out the bubblegum, but instructed the kiddos NOT to chew until they were told.  I know, so mean, right???  Once they were FINALLY instructed to chew, we went through the process steps and wrote them out together on this page:
In their table groups, they came up with a topic sentence and conclusion.
Then, they took this prewriting, and put it all together to create a how-to paragraph on blowing a bubble.
For some of the kiddos, it was the first time they'd ever blown a bubble!  So cool!!!  After writing, they were able to complete a quick (operative word), cute craft that we will eventually put up on our bulletin board next to the paragraph.

I love having my kiddos get interactive with a skill!  We will be transferring what we know about writing procedural text to analyzing it in reading.  Having the background knowledge on writing it will give them a boost in understanding the features and purposes of procedural text!  Yay!!!  Get your FREE copy of the lesson for a limited time in my TPT store: How to Blow a Bubble: A Guide to Writing Procedural Text.  Today, we are using the book Cook-a-Doodle-Doo by Susan Stevens Crummel to continue our discussion on procedural text.  I have a fun guide available for this unit in my TPT store, too!  Get your copy HERE!

Next week, our kiddos will be using what they learned this week about writing procedural text to create a booklet with steps and fun Turkey Tips to help turkeys survive Thanksgiving!  Check it out HERE!!!

So, on a personal note, I captured this sweet image of one of my little darlings on the way home yesterday.  Yep!  Momma feels the same way!!!  I just love that she's snoozin' away with her new book and pen in hand.  Gotta love the Book Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment