Monday, November 24, 2014

The Fraction Frenzy Continues...

It's the first day of Thanksgiving break, and I'm blogging about school...WHAT???  On Friday at 3:00, I was certain I wouldn't be blogging again 'til we were back in the classroom, but here I am!!!  I just had to get this new set of mini-lessons out!

We wrapped up our week talking about equivalent fractions - yes, the learning continues in 5th grade, even on the Friday before Thanksgiving break.  One of the things that I LOVED about this set of lessons is how it scaffolded the kiddos through models, numbers, and finally...problem-solving!  I remember last year how DIFFICULT it was for my kiddos to think of creating equivalent fractions to figure the number of onions in Johnny's garden ("Three-fourths, Ms. S!  Three-fourths!  He has THREE onions in his garden!!!).  But this year...totally different story!

We started out coloring fraction models and fraction bars - I left the manipulatives out for these lessons because my kiddos are famous artistes, and they love breaking out the crayon box for math!




After talking about models, we created equivalent fractions using two workmats that I created to target my kiddos' areas of need.



Finally, we tackled problem solving as a class, and then I gave them an assessment - just four quick problems, and I'm ECSTATIC to say that every one of my students got a perfect score!  WOOHOO!!!  Download your FREE copy of the mini-lessons HERE for a limited time!!!

So here's how my break started out...


I have my kiddos this week (lots of thanks going on over here!), so I decided to decorate for Christmas a bit early.  This will be our first official Christmas in the new house, so we went out yesterday and bought a tree and all new decorations.  We have pumpkins and turkeys AND this beautiful UNLIT tree gracing our home this week!  Why isn't it lit, you ask?  Well, that's because Momma, in her haste to get all the little packages of extra lights off the cord, CUT the darn thing in two!  Yep.  Ugh.  So today, I'm playing electrician, and headed off to Lowe's to buy electrical tape and a pair of wire-strippers (are those even a thing???).  So yeah...pretty typical holiday season over here!  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment