Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Fraction Frenzy

We started a new unit this week.  Bring it on, fractions!  Knowing my kiddos the way I do, I knew that they weren't ready to jump right in to comparing fractions (SAY WHAT, CURRICULUM???).  First, we needed a few interactive lessons to review fractions as parts of a whole and parts of a set.  I came up with a little bundle of activities to refresh my kiddos on fractions, and prepare them to dive in to MUCH more challenging work with fractions.  EEK!!!

Available FREE in my TPT store for a LIMITED time!
To kick off the mini-unit, we talked about fractions as parts of a whole.  We busted out the pattern blocks (yes, we still use these in 5th grade!), and discussed how many triangles or rhombi make a hexagon, trapezoid, etc.  Sounds simple, right?  Not so much.  I threw in a few problems using multiple shapes.  Creating fractions using more than one shape kind of threw my kiddos for a loop!  BUT...it was the perfect opportunity to start talking about equivalent fractions.


If we'd had more time, we would have created some pizza fractions, but we are already behind!  Story of my life!!!  Maybe next year...here's what it would've looked like.  Sigh.


Next, we started a "Fraction Friends" activity to begin talking about fractions as parts of a set.  We played a fun version of "Guess My Rule," creating fractions for the number of kiddos with light-colored eyes, sporting hoodies, wearing accessories, etc.  It was so cute watching them scrutinize each other and try to figure out what they had (or what they were missing)!  We wrote various statements to describe the attributes of class.


Finally, we created our very own "Fraction Friends," which included fractional statements of shared attributes.  I can't wait to hang these cuties on the wall outside my classroom!



Get this fun bundle of activities in my TPT store FREE for a limited time!  Click HERE to download your free copy!!!  Make sure to share the link with your friends and colleagues, because it will only be free for a short amount of time!  Be on the lookout for future mini-units on equivalent fractions and comparing fractions - they will be coming VERY soon!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment