Monday, July 28, 2014

Whoooooooooo Knows Vocabulary?

Okay, I'm stretching it a bit on these bundles with the owl theme, but they are too darn cute!  I ran across these shabby owls as I was trolling on Teachers Pay Teachers for clip art to use in my curriculum creations, and I knew I had to find a way to use them.  I just happened to be working on these vocabulary bundles at the time, and the owls soon found themselves a home!

So what are these vocabulary bundles???  Well, being back in a testing grade this past year reminded me how important vocabulary is during state testing.  I realized that many of my kiddos were missing questions (on skills I knew they had mastered!) because they didn't understand the language being used on the test!  Eek!!!  I immediately started a vocabulary component to my language arts block, and created a vocabulary wall in my classroom that targeted high-frequency words found in the various content areas and on state-testing.  However, my kiddos need more than just visual reminders, so I came up with these fun flash cards and activities for some hands-on practice.  I can't wait to use them with my upcoming group!!!  The activities are engaging, with familiar games like Concentration and Go Fish, except that they have an added twist (and degree of difficulty)!  Students must give the word's meaning, use the word in a sentence, determine the part of speech, and give a synonym or an antonym.  They can be used to set up stations, or during group work, and they will DEFINITELY be used in my classroom when someone says, "I'm finished, what can I do now?"

Click on the bundle you need for your classroom (or all three!), and enjoy!  Feel free to share with friends, family, and coworkers.  I'd love to hear how you and your kiddos like the activities, so leave a comment, if you'd like!  Aren't those owls just too stinkin' cute?!?!

High-Frequency Vocabulary Flash Cards & Activities - 3rd Grade***
High-Frequency Vocabulary Flash Cards & Activities - 4th Grade***
High-Frequency Vocabulary Flash Cards & Activities - 5th Grade***

***The link has expired!  Please visit my TPT store to purchase your copy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment